Wednesday 16 April 2014

Is It Ever!!!

Nearly two years after our Initial blog... WOW, Life is short.  Very Short...  TWO YEARS!  OMG.

Well we had a bumpy road the last year...  some major setbacks in health, but we are overcoming that.

4 am, April 19, 2013,  I woke up to a severe pain in my right side.  SEVERE-barely describes it.  When I tried to stand a half hour later... my leg gave out under me.  I thought it must be asleep.. no biggie.. I stayed in bed.  By 5 am,... I still had a bit of pain and couldn't sleep so I crawled out to the living room, as my leg was still " asleep" .  Hmmmm... ....   At 7 am,  I decide it was more than asleep, and woke my husband to go to the hospital.  I did this by crawling back to the bedroom, and waking him up.  Of course, this is the ONLY night HE is getting a good night sleep.  
We arrived at the Nanaimo General Hospital by almost 8 am.  I have to say that I have never had better treatment in a hospital before and was amazed.  By 9 am I had seen the doctor.. a few times...  had two IV's in, and was on my way to a CT scan.   By this time, i had no feeling in my left leg, and no function in my right. A bit frightful to say the least.

The next morning at 6 am, when they still could not find out what was wrong. I was sent to Victoria General Hospital, where a team of Neurologists work.  I had had every test that i knew of... and more... MRI's- not one but two...  CT scan, spinal tap, X-rays, blood work, and more.  Victoria General Hospital has a wonderful team of nurses and doctors who made my 6 days there as pleasant as possible.  they started me on a steroid for 5 days.

Then by day three I could move my toes.... ever so slightly... but I moved it. Seemed like a major accomplishment.  I had one Neurologist come in and say that I may never walk again... he was unsure...   I asked for a different neurologist.  That was not an option- and obviously he didn't know ME.  I have too much to do in life... LIFE IS TOO SHORT!!!  And how am I to teach sailing onboard if i can't walk!! How are Darren and I to live out our dream life onboard a boat, if I can't walk? OMG

So , making a long story short...  I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis.- a swelling of the spinal cord.  Why???  Not sure.  Dunno.  It could be a few discs i have that just barely touch the spinal cord... in their opinion NOW, a year later.  but nothing concrete.
All in all, I spent almost a week in the hospital, a few weeks in a wheelchair at home, then moved to elbow crutches for a few months, then walking poles.  Now I use a cane only when in big groups of people, cause people don't bump into me, cause I fall over easily.  my balance is not 100% but its improving every day.

What I DO know... is that I have a wonderful support team...  A wonderful husband who cares and shows his love every day, a sister who drove 1200km to be in the hospital with me, and spend a month with us helping to look after ME.... ME, the one who never needs help from anyone...  Ya...  ( i think I've changed that tune) , and a network of friends who are like family to us. I have two great boys who have grown to wonderful men. And I have a team of doctors who really do love their professions.

So, a year later, I am back to Instruction on the boat... albeit, I have wobbly moments...  I can walk about 2 miles, mind you it takes me half an hour,  and I can cycle on my bike about 5 miles...  I still have no deep muscle feeling in the left leg at all, and only partially in the right, I'm not 100%, and may never be,  but I'm 75% physically improved, and emotionally I'm great.  It was a tough road... but with family and friends that are awesome, I couldn't be better.
I know there are other people out there who have been diagnosed with the same thing i have been... and I hope that I can help to inspire them to improve, and never give up.


Now... to the next course....  cause  LIFE IS SHORT!

2 comments:

  1. Wow...what can I say except that I have known you so long and I know the determination and love for life you have! What a journey. Sometimes it's the "awakening" by setback that makes us truly shine. Kelly, you truly DO SHINE!
    Hugs
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Great information! Would you please consider sharing my link to your readers? Please email me back at haileyxhailey gmail.com.

    Thanks!
    Hailey

    ReplyDelete